Thursday, July 10, 2008

Summer has Arrived, So has Opportunity..

I have never bee a "summer" type of guy..I would like to think it is because I am an Eastern trout fisherman and the two don't always mix well...I Love Spring and Fall and enjoy the solitude of Winter. While I do look forward to wearing shorts and backyard BBQs, the trout fisherman must become an opportunist once the rivers drop and the water temps rise...So that is exactly what I have become over the last month, an "opportunist"..When the water temps were too warm for trout fishing I was hitting up some of my local ponds and I wasn't disappointed...The bass and bluegill fishing has been red hot in the evenings. I have been fishing mostly with large simulators, sometimes just adding a twitch and other times stripping in, either way the fish have been all over the flies...As for trout fishing,I took advantage any cool nights and rainy days and would hit the water with fair results.. I have had a few guide trips and while the fishing was slow, we did catch a few nice trout along with a mix of redbreasts, rock bass and smallmouth. But most of the fishing has been early morning or late evening...The morning fishing is my favorite with fish lazily sipping spinners in the deep pools. The fishing hasn't been easy but I have fool a nice one now and then...

Last night a friend and I hit up a private stretch of water on one of the more popular rivers in the state...Typically the trout fishing would have been poor, but what is special about this stretch is that there is a large dam which has created a small Tailwater fishery for a couple hundred yards below the dam. With hot and humid weather all day, there was zero bug activity, but that didnt stop the fish from hitting our flies..We caught and released about dozen wild browns from 6 to 11 inches all on dry flies and didnt even get to the deep pool below the dam...Walking out of the water both of us knew we were lucky to have such good trout fishing on such an evening.. Sometimes it pays to be an opportunist...

No comments: